Senior Education and Child Development Technical Specialist
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The Senior Education and Child Development Specialist is an important member of the PDQ team. Under the general direction and guidance of the Programme Development and Quality Director, the Senior Education and Child Development Specialist will ensure that all early childhood development (ECD) and basic education interventions are of a high technical quality and attract significant donor funding which contribute to Save the Children’s strategic objectives; that monitoring processes are in place, and that programme quality and relevance is continually assessed and solutions quickly put in place to reflect changing contexts.
The Senior Education and Child Development Specialist is expected to strengthen the capacity of the existing ECD and basic education team, conduct training and provide technical advice and support to project staff, with frequent visits to the field to support high quality programme implementation and ensure programming objectives are successfully achieved. The position technically supports the ECD and education program in both development and humanitarian contexts. The Senior Education and Child Development Specialist is also expected to provide technical advice and support to ECD and basic education implementing partners.
Current thematic priorities include:
- In ECD: Emergent literacy and maths for children aged 4-6 and parenting education for children aged 0-3
- In Basic Education: Ensuring that children, including the most marginalized, have the skills, support and materials they need to achieve literacy and numeracy skills.
Literacy sector: Supporting the development of a rich literacy environment though continued support for the development of the Kinyarwanda language book sector.
Contract Duration: Open ended
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A child development or education professional with a Master’s degree in education, child development or relevant field;
- At least 5 years professional experience in education and/or ECD, including experience working at a senior management or technical level in child development or education for NGOs;
- Excellent understanding of the ECD and education sector, particularly issues related to literacy, holistic child development, pedagogy, teacher training, curriculum development, child protection and child rights either in development and humanitarian context;
- Clear understanding of the intersection of ECD and education with other thematic areas
- Proven representation skills;
- Strong commitment to capacity building of national staff and partners with willingness to adopt participatory and consultative approaches;
- Experience writing donor funding proposals;
- Ability to compile narrative sections and thematic budgets for proposals; ability to edit/write narrative reports, with reference to financial reporting;
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching;
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets;
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner;
- Fluency in English, verbal and written, required;
- Commitment to Save the Children values, including willingness to abide by and enforce the Child Safeguarding policy.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Date advertised: 9 Oct 2019
Closing date: 23 Oct 2019 - 22:59 CAT
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Department: Programme, Development and Quality
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time