The Role: Data Scientist
As Save the Children moves into the next strategy period, we have identified the need to better use our information to prioritise and improve our decision making; to support the most marginalised and deprived children through our breakthroughs.
With an aligned and forward looking data and analytics strategy our ambition is to enable better decision making, reduce the administrative burden on our operations and ensure we make the best use of our information, improve outcomes and further our continuous improvement efforts.
Working with functional experts from across the movement, the role will:
• Shape and frame the questions and problems Save the Children is seeking to answer and solve through the use of data
• Identify and source the data required to answer the question(s) / problem(s)
• Review and test the quality and accuracy of the data sourced and work with the functions to make improvements
• Work with data governance and enterprise architecture teams to develop a framework for data analytics to drive improvements in data collection, storage, data structures, descriptions, relationships and data attribute definitions
• Utilise mathematical, statistical and algorithmic modelling techniques to convert the data into actionable insights and create value in the data held by Save the Children
• Apply different analytical approaches and techniques to explore and uncover hidden patterns in data
• Exploit different technologies and coding techniques (e.g. Python, R, MatLab, SQL etc) to analyse, interpret large data in structured; unstructured; semi-structured formats from internal and external sources
• Visualise the insights as part of communicating data analytics stories
• Communicate actionable data insights to a wide variety of stakeholders from across the organisation to help decision makers
• Prepare written reports to communicate findings from data analytics research and proof of concepts aimed to creating value from data to support the most marginalised and deprived children through our breakthroughs
• Horizon scan to stay up to date with the latest technology, techniques and methods
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
• Practical experience building mathematical, statistical and algorithmic models to convert data into actionable insights
• Hands-on programming experience in a relevant coding language such as R, Matlab, SQL or Python etc
• Experience working with structured, unstructured, semi-structured, data from internal and external sources
• Knowledge and experience in the different technologies used in the exploitation of data to solve problems
• Experience of collaborating and consulting with a broad range of decision makers and stakeholders from different functions e.g. HR, Finance, IT, Supply Chain, Procurement
• Proven requirements gathering and analysis skills to clearly define problem statements and shape the questions that need to be answered using data
• Ability to understand and manage stakeholder requirements/drivers and manage expectations
• Intellectual curiosity and a keen interest in international development and humanitarian response
• Excellent communication skills (written & oral English), including the ability to communicate and present both at a technical and non-technical level
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to influence and negotiate/mediate
• Cultural awareness and experience of delivering solutions internationally
• Non-profit sector knowledge/experience (especially international development projects)
• Experience working on digital transformation projects
• Second language – French, Spanish or Arabic
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector.
This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only.
We are looking for candidates that are based in countries where Save the Children operates.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Date advertised: 10 Sep 2021
Closing date: 25 Sep 2021 - 00:59 CAT
Location: Worldwide, Worldwide
Department: Business Transformation
Type: PermanentSchedule: Full-time