Advocacy and Communications Manager
The Advocacy and Communication Manager is responsible for identifying advocacy issues, preparing and implementing advocacy plans, documentation and communicating lessons and good practices from implementing programs to various users. The post holder will ensure a consistent and effective flow of information pertaining to Save the Children's activities, keeping relevant teams up to date on all developments both internally and externally.
The managerial position has both an internal and external orientation, but works closely with the Senior Management Team, Program Development and Quality Team as well as the Program Operation teams in facilitating the planning and undertaking of advocacy, media and communication initiatives.
The post holder will carry out these responsibilities in line with Save the Children's vision, country strategic plan, and principle of Child Right Programming.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
- Degree in social science, development, journalism.
- Masters or post graduate degree in communications and media will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of experience in undertaking advocacy, media and communication initiatives in humanitarian and development contexts
- Proven experience in analysing the situation of children using the child rights programming/ principles framework
- Proven track record of policy influencing with partners, government and civil societies/key stakeholders
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills, including an ability to deal with people at all levels with credibility, tact, and diplomacy
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and an ability to produce good quality documents, information for a variety of audiences and communicate good practices
- Experience in policy and practice analysis and implementing strategic advocacy initiatives aimed at bringing changes in these areas
- Experience and proficency in graphic design software
- Strong inter-organisational skill such as networking, negotiation and communication.
- Willing and able to travel time to field offices to support field teams, as security permits
- Strong computer skills to produce advocacy documents and document and communicate good practices.
- High level of fluency in English, both verbal and written, required.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse