What we do
Save the Children Rwanda is working to fulfil Save the Children International's overall mission, which is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
In Rwanda, we are currently doing this by focusing on four thematic areas, which are; Education, Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Health and Nutrition. In addition, we are also supporting the Burundian refugees in the Mahama Camp through our Emergency Response.
- Implementing an innovative Education Signature Program to support improved literacy skills for children aged 0-9 in 21 sectors in Gicumbi , 17 sectors in Burera, 3 sectors in Ruhango, 3 sectors in Rubavu, and 9 sectors in Ngororero, in partnership with Umuhuza.
- Piloting a project to address Physical and Humiliating Punishment (PHP) in Early Childhood Care and Development Centers and Primary schools in Burera.
- In partnership with Children’s Voice Today, we are implementing a project to address Child Domestic Work in Nyarugenge District.
- Partnering with the Child Rights Civil Society Coalition to advocate and engage in the promotion and monitoring of Children’s Rights.
- Supporting the Ministry of Health to fight against chronic malnutrition in 8 districts. We are also working with Jhpiego and other partners to support the Ministry of Health in reducing child and maternal mortality through increased coverage and utilization of high-impact low cost Reproductive Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH) interventions.
- Responding to the Burundian Refugee influx in Mahama camp, in partnership with the Ministry of Disaster Management and Refugee Affairs (MIDIMAR), UNHCR and other partners , in the following sectors: Protection, Education, Health and Nutrition.
In line with this, Save the Children Rwanda is also working to implement the Theory of Change of Save the Children International, with its four components of Innovation, Scale, Partnership and Voice (see below). The Theory of Change is integrated into all our programmes.